"What's new at Sonar" vs "V2"

For the time-being, I’m a bit confused about the “What’s new at Sonar” progress. We are still on V1 and are unable to switch to V2 until all of our existing features are supported.

Would it be possible to prioritize feature parity with V1 over new features in V2?

2 Likes

I was really happy with the fact that they got rid of the DHCP batcher. We never moved to it anyway - there was no advantage vs. the API endpoint for us.

Otherwise, I agree, I would like to see feature parity so we could move sooner rather than later. We are deploying a new VoIP solution and it will have to integrate with Sonar. We will have to rewrite the V2 integration later, based on how things are right now.

1 Like

I am so excited the DHCP system has been updated, I have been requesting and hoping for such a change for a long time. I look forward to testing the ways it has been improved… once we are able to use V2.

Also getting frustrated with these new feature emails, as we have been waiting well over 18 months to get onto V2.

With progress on solutions like UCRM (UISP) for free, I honestly wonder what we are gaining paying thousands for this current V1 software.

I really hope Sonar gets its act together and focuses on having this fully on par with V1 before the new year or our company will likely be switching to something else.

1 Like

Feature parity is driving the vast majority of the development on v2. There really hasn’t been a lot added that isn’t feature parity. Things like the DHCP batcher improvement are just incremental changes that don’t take up a lot of effort, and help both our customers and our servers a lot!

1 Like

Been waiting also. Now we’re in desperate need for a mobile app for field techs. I was excited to see the app pop up in the app store. Downloaded and tried to login, only to find out it only works with v2. So… is V2 going to be available this quarter, or this year? 2025? I’ve sent another request over to support for an upgrade, but honestly we are starting to look around for other software.

I know you have been waiting for a long time to move to V2 and we are almost there.
The reason we have not moved you to V2 is that there are something you are using in V1 that were not complete in V2. With that being said, those are almost complete and once they are out of beta, the migration team will notify you on what the next step is.
Feel free to send a ticket to us at Support@sonar.software if you have further questions or concerns.

1 Like

Well, I use about 25% of the features. Guess I picked the wrong features to use?

When you say “we are almost there”, what does that mean in real time? week, month, quarter, etc…

What features are you missing @Kevin_Mullins? We have been waiting for GoCardless integration for 18 months…

“we are almost there” means 2022 in my estimation. I find it hard to believe they have been working on feature parity only for the better part of 3 1/2 years and have not gotten it to V1 level compatibility yet.

We aren’t waiting for any new features at this moment, but apparently in v2 the only data centres that you can use are currently all in the United States. We want to keep our data in Canada to comply with privacy legislation. I am hoping it doesn’t take too long for Canada to become an option.

@simon I noticed the status page that was recently set up mentions web application in the singular sense. Sonar v1 seems to be set up as a separate web application per customer, basically a DigitalOcean droplet per customer, if I am not mistaken? The fact that there is a status page for Sonar v2 and the singular use of “web application” vs the plural “web applications” suggests that in v2 there is one big monolithic web application with multitenancy to separate the data. Can you clarify this? If so, it would explain why there is no Canadian option currently, as then Sonar only really has one “droplet” located in the US that everybody shares.

This also makes me wonder about Sonar v2 in terms of data security etc. as it seems to me that a single large monolithic shared instance could be more prone to data breaches than separate instances, as a broad generalization.

All Sonar v2 customers have separate VMs running in Azure.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I really hope that the Canadian datacenter options will be coming soon for Sonar v2.