API's and CORS

Does anyone have a template or basic call to the API? I’ve tried every which way, but seem to only get Error 401 Unauthorized with my Admin account when making a GET request. If I don’t specify JSONP as the dataType, I get a CORS error. I have been at this for hours. I’m posting the code I have used and am pretty sure is correct. Let me know if any of you see anything.

Note that I did change the URL to example and pass to password.

var user = “admin”;
var pass = “password”;
var url = “https://example.sonar.software/api/v1/accounts/734201”;

$.ajax({
url: url,
type: “GET”,
dataType: “jsonp”,
jsonpCallback: ‘callBack’,
contentType: “application/json”,
crossDomain: true,
beforeSend: function (xhr) {
xhr.setRequestHeader(‘Authorization’, makeBaseAuth(user, pass));
},
success: function(msg) {
var msg = $.parseJSON(msg);
console.log(msg);
},
error: function (xhr, ajaxOptions, thrownError) {
alert(xhr.status);
//alert(xhr.responseText);
console.log(xhr.responseText);
var jsonObj = JSON.stringify(xhr.responseText);
$(’.js-my-modal’).text(jsonObj);
},
});

You should never do this in an AJAX request, as you’ll be exposing your credentials in client side Javascript. This should always be called from the serverside.

If you are interested, you can setup a simple node.js environment and make calls from there. This allows you to run JS from the server side. You can also render static HTML pages with a package like express.js. I also created an npm package just for the Sonar API here: node-sonar-api

I will check this out. I ended up installing Composer/Guzzle., This wouldn’t work with my PHP version, and my Debian distro wouldn’t install PHP5.5, so had to go from PHP5.4 and went ahead to PHP7 and Debian 7 to Debian 9 and then had to rebuild my MySQL library calls in my framework because mysql was deprecated and now using mysqli or PDO. Basically, I just broke down and built a new web server and was forced to upgrade my custom framework, but I can pull data from Sonar now…which is nice. Although I don’t like the Composer/Guzzle route as it doesn’t integrate with what I’m doing very well. I wanted a minimum approach and I think Composer is too much and I don’t have very much control of where it goes. Any tips on node.js?

Thanks,

Kenny

There is plenty of documentation online to get started, but if you have any specific questions I should be able to help!

Postman is a great help in doing API work with Sonar.
We have done some integrations and migrations for other Sonar users in C++ and PHP and Postman just makes it easier to get what you are looking for.

@Lee_Barton -> I just want to thank you! We’ve been using your node package for a while now for our own backend systems and it works AMAZING as a reliable connector for us.

Absolutely! I am happy that others find my solution useful.